Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Thinking back

 53º with overcast skies here in Clarinda, IA at 10:00 am.

Since I am 28,447 days old today, (77 years, 10.5 months)  I have been thinking about things in the past.

56 years ago last week we had our first son born in Omaha, NE.  About 53 years and 4 months ago our daughter was born in Salt Lake City, UT.  About 60 years ago I graduated from High School in Callaway, NE and started business school in Omaha where I met Phyllis.  About 58.5 years ago I started working in the Union Pacific Headquarters Offices in Omaha, NE.  A little over 58 years ago I married Phyllis Cabbage from Clarinda, Iowa in Schambaugh, Iowa.  Almost 54 years ago we moved from Millard, NE (now part of Omaha) to Salt Lake City, Utah when I took job as Personal Injury Claim Adjuster with Union Pacific RR.  51 years and 4 months ago we moved to Overland Park, KS when I took the job as Personal Injury Claim Agent in the Kansas City, Kansas, office.  50 years and about 8 months ago I left employment with Union Pacific and we moved to Clarinda, IA when I took job as Assistant Accountant in the office of HyGrade Foods.  About 48 years ago we bought 12 acres including farm house and farm buildings 4 miles west of Clarinda where we lived until almost 11 years ago when we moved to our present location on the southwest edge of Clarinda.  49 years and 4 months ago I started working at Clarinda Elevator and about 46.5 years ago I took over management at the grain Elevator - Coin Grain Corp - in Coin, IA.  About 36.5 years ago we took on additional job of sign making at our home.  A little over 26 years ago we sold Coin Grain elevator and about 12 years and 5 months ago we sold our Miles Sign Company.  At that time we bought a Travel Trailer and started spending as much time as possible seeing the USA.

A little over 43 years ago my Dad died where I and brother Darrell performed CPR when he had a heart attack, on the farm near Callaway, NE.  34 years and 4 months ago Mom died in the hospital in Callaway, NE following a heart attack.  13 years ago next month my sister, Louise, died of a heart attack following years of complications with diabetes.  84 years ago last month my oldest brother, Roger, was born.  82 years ago next month my next oldest brother Don was born.  About 75.5 years ago my younger brother, Darrell, was born.  Some 71 years and 3 months ago my sister, Louise, was born.

A little over 74 years ago Dad & Mom moved us from a farm a few miles south of Callaway, NE to a farm some 8 miles southeast of  Callaway and 7 miles northwest of Oconto, NE.  I went to school in a rural schoolhouse about 2 miles from us at Lower Lodi School until graduated 8th grade in 1957 and then went to the big city of Callaway (about 600 to 700 people) for high school, graduating in 1961.  Mom & Dad remained on that farm until 1978 when he passed away.

12 years and 4 months ago we retired after selling our Sign Business we had operated at our place west of Clarinda.  We started going south to Texas with a Travel Trailer at that time and a little over 10 years ago we bought the mobile home we now spend our winters in, in the town of La Feria, Texas -- adjacent to Harlingen, Texas.

Wonder what will happen in the future and what trips we may take.


Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, the end of April 2024

 75 degrees with mostly bright sunshine here in Clarinda, IA at 12:40 pm Tuesday.  Forecast for possibly some storms this late afternoon.  H...