Sunday, March 4, 2018

Books I've been reading lately

I have been reading quite a few books this winter.
Just started this one - story of two brothers
who grew up in France in the early 1940's
during Germany's occupation.
This book was written, co-written, by
an "inside trader" on Wall Street who
became addicted to the trading, was caught
and served prison time.

Very interesting history of Luce, who started
Life, Time,and other magazines, as well
as life of his wife Clare Booth Luce.


This self-written book is by man who escaped Cuba
and came to Clarinda, Iowa (our hometown) when his
Mother became Spanish Teacher in our High School
in 1961.  Phyllis knew him and his mother.  A
very interesting book.

History of the men in government at
the time of 9/11 and the wars that
followed.  Some insight, to me, of
how things are done in Washington, DC

I read Readers Digest version of this book, which
went from 1932 to 1952.  Found out that the
actual book covered 1932 to 1972, so will
have to get the full book.  The times of the
Depression and Dust Bowl brought me
back to many stories Dad used to tell.  He and
Mom were married in 1934 and started farming
the next year or so during those very hard
times.

This is story of some children in
a Ghetto area of Chicago.  Is so sad
to read about all the gangs and killing
the very young kids were exposed to.



































































This very interesting story is from diaries
and correspondence left by two men who
were Secretaries to President Lincoln.
I have it on Kindle on my phone and have
been reading it for couple months, mostly
as I fall asleep at night. 

Just got this downloaded on Kindle and
looking forward to reading it.























I told you I plagiarize the Groaner's Corner from another blog.
Well, here is a picture he put on his blog today - what he saw when
driving in Florida yesterday

GROANER’S CORNER:(( For two solid hours, the lady sitting next to a man on an airplane had told him about her grandchildren. She had even produced a plastic-foldout photo album of all nine of the children.  She finally realized that she had dominated the entire conversation on her grandchildren.  "Oh, I've done all the talking, and I'm so sorry. I know you certainly have something to say. Please, tell me... what do you think of my grandchildren?"
-----------------------------------
- “Back in the days when the guillotine was first used, people wondered, is this what we may beheaded for in the future?”

- Why did the tomato blush?  Because he saw the salad dressing!
-------------------------------------
A southern minister was completing a temperance sermon. With great statement he said, "If I had all the beer in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river."  With even greater emphasis he said, "And if I had all the wine in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river!"  And then finally, he said, "And if I had all the whiskey in the world, I'd take it and pour it into the river!Sermon complete, he then sat down.  The song leader stood very cautiously and announced with a smile, "For our closing song, let us sing Hymn #365: 'Shall We Gather at the River.'"
====================
Till Next Time - Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, the end of April 2024

 75 degrees with mostly bright sunshine here in Clarinda, IA at 12:40 pm Tuesday.  Forecast for possibly some storms this late afternoon.  H...