Tuesday, September 6, 2016

From The Callaway Courier (Callaway Nebraska) today


The year is 1915
 100 years ago. What a difference a century makes. Here are some statistics for the Year 1915:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.

 Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.

Only 14% of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8% of the homes had a telephone.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average US wage in 1910 was 22¢ per hour.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year; A dentist $2,500 per year; A veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year. And, a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95% of all births took place at home

Ninety percent of all doctors had no college education. Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and the government as “substandard.”

Sugar cost 4¢ a pound. Eggs were 14¢ a dozen. Coffee was 15¢ a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and, used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nev., was only 30.

 Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.

There was neither a Mother’s Day nor a Father’s Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn’t read or write and, only 6% of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, “Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health!”

 Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.
There were about 230 reported murders in the entire USA.

I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself. From there, it will be sent to others all over the world all in a matter of seconds! It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years. The way it’s going, I wonder if we’ll make it another 100 years.

 *********************************************************************************
Some chuckles
1. My goal for 2016 was to lose just 10 pounds. Only 15 to go.

2. Ate salad for dinner. Mostly croutons and tomatoes. Really just one big round crouton covered with tomato sauce. And cheese. Fine, it was a pizza. I ate a pizza.

3. How to prepare Tofu: a. Throw it in the trash. b. Grill some meat.

4. I just did a week’s worth of cardio after walking into a spider web.

5. I don’t mean to brag, but I finished my 14 day diet food in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

6. A recent study has found women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it.

7. Kids today don’t know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

8. Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

9. Remember back when we were kids and every time it was below zero out they closed school? Me neither.

10. I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented. I forgot where I was going with this.

11. I love being over 70. I learn something new every day and forget five others.

12. A thief broke into my house last night. He started searching for money, so I woke up and searched with him.

13. I think I’ll just put an “Out of Order” sticker on my forehead and call it a day.

14. Nov. 6 will be the end of Daylight Savings Time. Hope you don’t forget to set your bathroom scale back 10 pounds on Saturday night.

15. Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed.

***************************************************************************
 Irish humor:
 A London lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Glasgow copper. He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from London and is certain that he has a better education then any jock cop. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Glasgow cops expense! Glasgow cop says, “ License and registration, please.”
London Lawyer says, “What for?”
Cop says, “Ye didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign.”
Lawyer says, “I slowed down, and no one was coming.”
Cop says, “Ye still didn't come to a complete stop. License and registration, please”
Lawyer says, “What’s the difference?” “The difference is, ye huvte come to complete stop, that’s the law. License and registration, please!”
The lawyer says, “If you can show me the legal difference between slowdown and stop, I’ll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don’t give me the ticket.”
“Sounds fair. Exit your vehicle, sir.” The lawyer exits his vehicle. The cop takes out his baton and starts beating the living crap out of the lawyer and says, “Dae ye want me to stop, or just slow doon?”

* * * Economics

 A golfer walks into the pro shop and asks the pro if they sell ball markers. The golf pro says they do and the price is one dollar. The guy gives the golf pro a dollar. The golf pro opens the register, puts the dollar in, and hands the golfer a dime to use as his marker. This economic model is also used by all levels of governments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Final Moments of His Life, Calvin Has One Last Talk with Hobbes

       By  MYRNA LAPRES “Calvin? Calvin, sweetheart?” In the darkness Calvin heard the sound of Susie, his wife of fifty-three years. Calvin...