Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Dad's birthday

 Well, 118 years ago yesterday my Dad was born in Pana, Illinois - in 1904.  When he was about 10 years old his family moved to Huron, SD where they lived in town for a while and ended up on a farm, I think to the north, northeast of Huron, where he grew up.  With the drouth and depression in full swing in about 1932 he, and a brother, went south into Nebraska where they hired out and picked corn for 1 cent per bushel, shucking by hand and working pretty much sunup to sunset.  When he went into the town of Callaway, NE to call home, he went to the Central's Office to make the call.  My mom was operating the switchboard at the time.  They were married June 6, 1934.  Since Dad was 39 years old when I was born I didn't know him as a younger man, seemed like he was always a little old.  They lived just south of Callaway when I was born, and moved to the place where I grew up about 7 miles south of Callaway to a ranch and farm that he lived

on for the rest of his life.

He passed away in March of1978 at age of 73 years.  Photo at right was last photo I took of him, and Mom when we were home for a visit in January that year.

He used to talk about how things had changed during his lifetime----what would he think about all the changes that have happened since 1978?























Later, Lynn




No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, the end of April 2024

 75 degrees with mostly bright sunshine here in Clarinda, IA at 12:40 pm Tuesday.  Forecast for possibly some storms this late afternoon.  H...