Friday, July 5, 2019

Good reports on Heart Surgery

76º here in Clarinda, IA at 10:00 am Friday with predicted high of 85º and chance of rain later today.

Went to Lincoln, NE Wednesday morning, via Highway 34 crossing the Missouri River.  Still a lot of water out -- Highway 2 still closed on Iowa side of river and indications it might be November for all repairs are made and road opened between I-29 and the river.  We came back yesterday via Old 34 and got on I-29 down to Highway 2 and east to home.  All the fields and homes we saw with water around them have been that way since early March.

Had two appointments with Doctors and Nurses at Bryan East Heart Hospital in Lincoln, plus chest x-ray and blood draw for the kidney test program I am in, on Wednesday.  Got to talk with the doctor who took the vein out of my left leg and he said things looked good, also pulling up the x-ray just taken and pointing out the metal rings tying my sternum together as well as a small metal plate in the center with screws in it.  The surgeon, Dr. Oakes, who did the heart servery came in for just a few moments and declared he was satisfied with the looks of the incision and said I "should be good for another 200,000 miles" and didn't want to see me unless a problem developed.

We were able to do some shopping at both Costco (got gas at $2.39 there) and also Sam's.  Then went to our hotel for a little rest and went out to northwest Lincoln for supper and visiting with my brother Roger and his wife Carolyn.  On way back to motel we stopped at Barnes & Nobel and made use of a Christmas gift card to get a 2020 Road Atlas.  On Thursday morning we had breakfast at the motel and then stopped at Aldi's and got groceries, getting into Clarinda at noon and ate lunch at Runza before getting home.

I am still on restriction of not lifting over 10 lbs. for next 30 days and to watch using the arms "wildly".   We do plan on taking the trailer next Monday and going to Marengo then Stratsburg, IA on Tuesday for their bluegrass festival the rest of that week.


Carolyn showing Phyllis some of her collections of little ceramics with Roger at right.




Carolyn showing Phyllis some more collections.
.














Photo at right taken on Tuesday of some of Phyllis' flowers on our deck.









A cowboy, who just moved to Montana from Texas, walks into a bar and orders three mugs of Bud.
He sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn.
When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.
The bartender approaches and tells the cowboy, "You know, a mug goes flat after I draw it.
It would taste better if you bought one at a time."
The cowboy replies, "Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in Arizona , the other is in Colorado.  When we all left our home in Texas, we promised that we'd drink this way to remember the days when we drank together.  So I'm drinking one beer for each of my brothers and one for myself."  The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there.

The cowboy becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way.  He orders three mugs and drinks them in turn.

One day, he comes in and only orders two mugs. All the regulars take notice and fall silent.
When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, "I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my
condolences on your loss."
The cowboy looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns in his eyes and he laughs."Oh, no, everybody's just fine," he explains.  "It's just that my wife and I joined the Baptist Church and I had to quit drinking."
“It hasn't affected my brothers though."

More later, Lynn


1 comment:

Well, the end of April 2024

 75 degrees with mostly bright sunshine here in Clarinda, IA at 12:40 pm Tuesday.  Forecast for possibly some storms this late afternoon.  H...