Saturday, May 25, 2019

Open-Heart Surgery

Looked back and found that my first post to Blog was Tuesday, October 11, 2011.  It was at 2 Miles to Travel   That was 2783 days -- Or 7 years, 7 months, 14 days ago.  In February of 2015 I switched to this blog.  

In all that time I have never, to my remembrance, said anything about my health other than the short hospitalization in September of 2017 for  Pancreatitis.  That being said, I will go into some detail now about an up-coming event.  


This is a letter I sent a couple days ago to my 3 brothers:



"For several months I have been experiencing some shortness of breath and heart pounding when exerting.  Finally went to emergency at hospital one evening a couple weeks ago during an incident when I took my blood pressure and it was extremely high. 
They did several tests that night and kept me over night, setting up a stress test for me a few days later.  With the results of the test I was set up for a heart catheterization at Bryan East in Lincoln two days ago.
It was thought that possibly some stints may be called for, from the earlier tests.
During the catheterization test they determined that one was 98 percent blocked with two others over 50 percent blocked and questionable on some more.  It was the position of the blocked vessels and the number that made the doctor say surgery is necessary, rather than stints.
He was hesitant to do it today, Friday, as he will be gone all next week, so open-heart surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, June 4th at 8 am with my arrival time at 5 am.
I'm to take it easy, not stress anything for the 12 days between the catheterization test and the 4th.   Will go over to Lincoln Monday evening and will be in a hotel with Cam's and can report to Bryan East by 5am Tuesday morning.
Will expect 6 to 8 weeks for recovery, so we are scrubbing many of the short trips with the trailer for June and July. And, of course, our involvement with the Glenn Miller Festival the first weekend of June.   Hoping to still be able to do the August trip, but will see how it goes.
Understand the risks and odds of something going wrong, but am assuming all will go well."

Since then have found that our son and daughter-in-law, Cam and Patty Miles from Marengo, IA, as well as daughter, Michelle Miles, from Columbus, OH will be here; Michelle coming next weekend and Cam's will meet us in Lincoln the night before my surgery.  By getting a hotel in Lincoln we won't have to get up quite so early for what would have been the 2 hour drive and be at the hospital by 5 am on Tuesday morning.  Brother Roger, who lives in Lincoln, called to say he would stop by the hospital that day.
Not especially looking forward to this; however, am told it is quite necessary to avoid an impending heart attack.
Will do some more blogging before June 4th and see what comes then.

'Nuff said, Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, the end of April 2024

 75 degrees with mostly bright sunshine here in Clarinda, IA at 12:40 pm Tuesday.  Forecast for possibly some storms this late afternoon.  H...